Nov 12, 2012

Moonday Musings: A Tribute to Patricia Monaghan

The world became a little dimmer yesterday. I received very sad news that one of my favorite Celtic authors, Patricia Monaghan, lost her year-long battle with cancer. I didn't know her that well, but was one of her Facebook friends. She and I had corresponded on and off for years, and I absolutely adore her works. Pat was a very genuinely kind and sweet person, and exuded a joy for life that was contagious.

Two of my favorite books are "The Red-haired Girl from the Bog:The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit" and "Seasons of the Witch". She was a true Seannachi. Here is my favorite poem of all time. It comes from Seasons of the Witch, and she gave me permission to post it on my blog previously, so I honor her today with it here again:

A Vision of Hunger in Flesh
"The owl flies low tonight. The hare leaps high.
There are nights when life ordains a chase,
nights like this, when nothing fears to die.
-
 
There is no sound, no bird or rabbit cry
to mark the moment they begin the race.
The owl flies low tonight. The hare leaps high.
-
 
Across the snowy fields like man and bride
they dance toward their intentional embrace.
There are nights when nothing fears to die.
-
 
And as the owl descends in on slow glide,
we lay on hands like priests dispensing grace.
The owl flies low tonight. The hare leaps high.
-
 
Watching from the house, we're sanctified
by need. Communion shows its primal face
on nights like this, when nothing fears to die.
-
 
The dance of life and death makes us allies
as hunger raises us beyond disgrace.
-
 
The owl flew low tonight. The hare knew why.
There are nights when nothing fears to die."
-

My heart/prayers go out to her husband Mike, and her close friends and family right now. May her lovely spirit live on here through her works, and may she carry her joy and enthusiasm into the next world to bless those she meets there as well. She will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. The poem gave me chills. What a sad thing... May she continue to create beauty from the Summerlands.

    ReplyDelete

Pagans make the best friends... we worship the ground you walk upon! Please share your feedback here!