Jun 3, 2011

Spiritual Warfare? Playa, please!

Enough is enough.. and I'd say this one's gone a little too far. As most of you know, our beloved Mrs. B, of Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom   was entered by someone in the Circle of Moms Top 25 Blogs of Faith contest last week. She was then publicly attacked by a couple of Christian bloggers who were also in the competition. If you are new to this blog and haven't read up on it click HERE for more information.  Pagans rallied to her side (as well as those of other Pagan moms in the contest) and Mrs. B sky-rocketed to the #1 spot on the list. 

It seems that since then, and especially this week, it's become a little contest of the faiths- particularly Christianity versus Paganism- many of these Christian bloggers have taken it to the point of claiming it's Spiritual Warfare.

I'll address that in a moment, but I'd also like my readership to know that Mrs. B has also received anonymous death threats via email and blogger comments... and that's just taking things way too far.

Death threats over a blogging contest because someone doesn't share your faith? What kind of Kool-aid are they feeding these people at their churches to make them believe that this kind of behavior is okay?

Spiritual warfare?? Are you KIDDING ME??????  IT'S A BLOGGING CONTEST! Do these people really believe that Jesus gives a rat's a$$ about it? Do they honestly think HE believes this is a war he'd put his seal of approval on?

I've always taught my kids to choose their battles wisely.

If Jesus ever did exist, or was God incarnate, I know for a fact he wouldn't be that petty, nor would he believe that Satan's minions won something over his minions by being in a blogging contest.

And, I also have to wonder if these people really ARE Christians or if they've ever read about this guy they claim to follow.

Mrs. B has been a shining example of what Jesus would have done if the shoe was on the other foot. She never was a Christian, by the way; Yet, this woman shows more Christ-like behavior than any Christian blogger I've seen to date.

She hasn't railed against them.. she's "turned the other cheek";  She's been sure to point out that not all of the Christian bloggers in the contest are as evil as the ones who attacked her.

She's not whined, complained or dropped out of the contest, even though I'm sure she's wanted to (remember, she didn't  sign herself up for this- someone else did)- she's stuck with it, because so many of us have voted for her and have asked her to be our representative as a Pagan Mom of Faith blogger. 

I find it both inspiring and very sad that a Pagan is more Christlike than most Christians.

Gandhi once said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are nothing like your Christ." In this, he and I are of one accord.

In the bible it states: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

Since they're resisting, and we're not fleeing, could it possibly be that we're not OF their devil? Could it be that the evil they war against is actually within THEM?

Evil is defined by several dictionaries as "morally reprehensible; arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct."
 
The Bible says: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter." Isaiah 5:20
 
So, let's see... Mrs. B: behaves with high moral conduct and character.
 
These christian bloggers: name-calling, call Mrs. B evil, threaten her life, disparage her as a parent, disparage her character, et al...
 
Who is the evil one again? 
 
I'd also like to also point out that Jesus himself said:
 
"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits." Matthew 7:15-20
 
And here is Jesus's warning:
 
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord!' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the person who does what my Father in heaven wants. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name? Didn't we force out demons and do many miracles by the power and authority of your name?' Then I will tell them publicly, 'I've never known you. Get away from me, you evil people.'  Matthew 7:21-23
 
 
So again, I have to question the validity of their Christianity if they call good evil and evil good: certainly by their blogs, emails and actions I do not see good.
 
By their fruits I shall know them, and that fruit looks rotten to me.
 
 
If you'd like to vote for Mrs. B and the other awesome Pagan moms (as well as some pretty darned cool Christian, Jewish and Muslim moms), head on over to the Circle of Moms contest and vote. You can vote for as many of them as you like once per day until the contest ends on Wednesday. Let's show our truly faithful and loving moms that support.


Post Script:  Please note the comments below. One of the lovely Christian bloggers who posted the most beautiful blog about her love in Christ for us Pagans has also had threats from a cyberstalker. Please be sure to show your love and support for her as well. Not ALL Christians behave the way described above.. they really DO follow the teachings of Jesus.

40 comments:

  1. Well Said! I love it. Great post and I love the way you provided quotes from the bible as a way to support your position.

    I would hate to meet you in a debate!

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing a post RIGHT NOW about the asshattery of this week. Bleagh. You know it's gotten bad when I am referencing Paul as a means of pointing out somebody's asshattery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Christian friends, and they're most definitely practicing, passionate, Christians, have begun voting for the Pagan blogs in protest. Faith is a big pond, people, and this is no affront to Christianity. As you said, it's a blogging contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said!! I've been following this contest and I'm so sickened by the behavior of some of these Christians. I agree with you, they are not Christ-like at all. Christ preached tolerance and love, he said "Love thy neighbor" not "Love thy Christian neighbor and hate, revile, harass, and send death threats to everyone else."

    For many, many years I was a devout Christian, and this kind of attitude toward non Christians is part of why I'm a Pagan now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said my friend. I voted. I voted for Mrs B, and I am Christian. Ironic, I doubt it. Its not your religion that makes you, its you that makes your religion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely been a trying week. Thank you so much for your support, votes, and this awesome blog post! You don't know how much it means to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Death Threats? I would forward those emails to the local authorities and perhaps they could trace them.

    This is so awful. I so inspired my our beloved Mrs. B. for acting the way she has through this. She's been such a beacon of light, good, and just plain amazing.

    Great post, Kallan. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said Kallan. These people are so silly. They need to get a grip and maybe drink some more of that kool-aid (lmao).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post! It has amazed me how hateful this has gotten. I am very proud to be Pagan and count Mrs. B among my online friends. I also applaud those Christian Bloggers who have acted in love and compassion. This is what I learned Christianity should be about when I was raised in mainstream religion. It is actions like this meanspirited woman who started all this that made me move on and seek another spiritual path. Yes, Ghandi said it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone acting out because of women with different spiritual views in the contest should be ashamed of themselves. It's said that they can act this way and still sleep comfortably at night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's not forget Matthew 7:1---"Judge not, lest ye be judged."
    I knew there was childish drama, but I had no idea that there were death threats! Wow...I have been voting for ALL of the Pagan, Jewish, and Muslim moms in the contest and am so proud that there are so many "alternative faiths" in the contest...Mrs. B has done so much to educate the public that the term Witch or Pagan is not a bad thing. If only more of us were like that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pbbbbfftt...I thought it was getting BETTER, not worse. Shows how much I know.

    Thank you so much for your informed words - truth spoken in love and righteousness, just like their word demands, eh? I've met some truly loving Christians through this debacle, but it's frightening how quickly things turn nasty, isn't it?

    One of my very dear Christian friends in the contest (journeytobeloved.blogspot.com - possibly one of the sweetest girls I have ever met) has been getting nasty letters, too, because she's hosted an open dialog between Christians and Pagans on her site. It's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love is the only constant in this life and the next. The rest falls away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your absolutely right. This has gotten so out of hand as to be ridiculous. I am honestly a little peeved at the hosting site Circle of Moms that they have let not just this contest, but their political one too, get so out of hand. Obviously these women our out to prove that just because they supposedly have 'faith' that does not mean that they have class or even respectable manners.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Kallan! It is disturbing that people have gone to such extremes to rationalize their own versions of their faith. Asshattery and douchebaggery are running rampant right now :-/

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are getting ridiculous with this junk, and it's Friday they must be board:S Great post

    ReplyDelete
  17. Death threats over not just a faith blog contest but MOM faith blogs...that makes it worse. I can't put together threatening someones life and then preparing the family dinner.

    I've never heard that quote from Gandhi before, and I have to say it's my new favorite quote ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fact that Mrs B is getting threats INFURIATES me! That is not Jesus or Christianity! Please- know that is not the true Lord Jesus Christ! That is hate personified and is evil at its best!
    I am praying for Mrs B that no harm will come to her or any other person in this situation.
    Just so you know, I had to call the police yesterday because of a cyber stalker who has been sending me hate emails for my post on love and witches. He has threatened harm to me because of my stand- I pray this is not the same man. You beautiful ladies are LOVED. Period. We don't share the same belief but you are my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Entirely well said and BRAVO! This whole thing has been a mess, mess, mess, and a sorry one at that. The reason I even love Mrs. B is bc she's of upright, ethical character and we have been all to fast to band around her to repel this nonsense. You go!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a Pagan, I have a very narrow view of the abilities of the God I believe in. See I only believe that my god is OMNIPOTENT.

    Even better news, the God I believe in not only has the intelligence to come up with evolution, but the wisdom to let it play out!

    The rapture has happened and God didn't take any of you Christians. Why would he want a bunch of petty bickering whinybutts anyway? All those good intentions you have, they are bricks in a road... where are you going?

    without justice there can never be peace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post, Kallan. Love it.

    We'll be praying that everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My GOD, I had no idea that was going on! D: How disgusting! If people react like this to a blogging contest, how do they react when they're face to face with individuals of other faiths?

    I know the Internet can bring out the worst in people... but that is just horrifying and crosses a really thick line. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. See now, Pagans know Christ better than many Christians do. ;) My daughter and I are praying for the safety of all of you. The Christian God has His ways of dealing with Christians who turn his grace toward them into their license to do evil to others. In my view of Jesus, he came to be a brother to us all. He embraces everyone with no judgement, just love and grace. Some Christians just don't like to see it. There's another quote I think is fitting here: "You've created your own god, when he hates everyone you hate."


    Lighting a pink candle today :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am quite overwhelmed by your post...it's poigant and entralling. It is sad that Mrs. B or anyone for that matter has to defend themselves and their beliefs. Mrs.B will continue to have my support. Thank you for such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The behaviour of those "spiritual warriors" is completely outrageous. As you have so astutely pointed out, what they are doing is a travesty of the Christian religion. I am shocked and appalled at this. Those people should be ashamed of themselves, and ashamed to show themselves in their churches on Sunday. Gah!

    I, myself, don't have a blog, but I've shared this on Facebook, and I hope that others will do the same. This needs to get lots more publicity than it's gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just a bit more...Please someone...anyone explain to me how such mean, cruel and offensive behavior can be considered "Christian Behavior". If I were Christ, looking down on my followers from my seat at the right hand of God, I'd be profoundly saddened by the blatant asshattery. By the way, it was a nun who taught me that the Christian calendar was created by eclipsing the Pagan wheel of the year. I could go on with citations etc., but suffice to say I am simply awestruck by the lack of TRUE Christian behavior many, many Christians abide by.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful post and full of everything we've been feling lately, Kallan. It's disturbing and sad that thngs got to this point.

    You're an awesome friend!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post! I can't get to the site you link, "Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom" (I clicked your link) Google says the URL isn't found.

    Hope she didn't have to disband to keep her children safe from attacking christians.

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well stated, Kallan! I love that you back up your argument with scripture from the Bible. I am new to your blog (found thru Mrs. B) but I have been following the contest. It's a shame that a few bad apples (un-Christlike Christians) give the rest of the bunch (followers of Jesus) a bad name.

    Blessed Be,
    Marci aka Moma Stew

    ReplyDelete
  30. As King Arthur says in my machinima film, let the cauldron and the cross unite,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wuNE5M01ME
    Bright Blessings, elf ~

    ReplyDelete
  31. Death threats over a contest are supremely stupid, even anonymously. She needs to report those to the authorities, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a longtime reader of Mrs. B, and it saddens me to hear that all her efforts to do good have brought her this kind of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  33. For the record, Mrs. B is well-versed in how to handle these kinds of threats. Even when one tries to post anonymously, the ip address is still recorded. She'll handle appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm sitting here staring at the screen, unable to think up words. Death threats. Blog contest. The balance tips so far, so fast, that "blog contest" becomes a projectile.

    That kind of behaviour has NO BASIS in ANY religion, and certainly not the religion which the "death threaters" are claiming as their own.

    *steam* *seethe*

    Standing with you against hate.
    -Pink Muslimah

    ReplyDelete
  35. So sad that it's come to this but in truth, I'm not surprised that the whole thing is becoming ugly!

    It began with ugliness in the form of a misguided person who spoke out of turn, about nothing she really knows about.

    How will it end? And by this I'm not referring to Mrs.B winning, because we all know she will, but I am talking about the end of the fall out that will follow on from the comp result...

    Will it, as one of my pagan FB friends is quick to point out, be heralded as a victory for Satan by those sad misguided people, who think only their Faith has value?

    Or will it end well - with apologise and the sharing of virtual hugs and respect?

    One hopes for the latter, but one suspects the former given the evidence so far.

    ReplyDelete
  36. After learning of the battle royale,I posted my own blog via the sight,titled "Faith,Trust,& Pixie Dust" in an attempt to make the Moms stop & think about setting examples for their children,as well as about the premise of the "golden rule" that is evident throughout concepts of faith.To hear that it's escalated to the death-threat level is soul-sickening to me.How unfortunate that what is supposed to be a forum of maternal camaraderie has been distorted into a blackhole of negativity."All gods are one god."

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm a little late to all this, with being gone last week, but find it to be an absolute abomination that these so called God fearing Christians are acting in such an un-godly manner. Yes, we understand that not everyone will agree with our beliefs.. hell, I don't agree with everyones beliefs either. But DAMN. Pull your head out of your ass where you apparently believe that your god resides and come join us in the real world were religious tolerance is the order of the day, not death threats and slander.

    Thank you for such an illuminating post Kallan. As always, it was a wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely post! I haven't really posted anything about the behavior of those involved because I felt that others had said it better than I possibly could. I voted this morning, for the last time since the contest ends tonight. You summed up the whole situation very clearly and concisely. Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Kallan,

    Very well put. I liked your post and I have posted something along these lines myself on my blog as well... including a couple of the quotes you used in your post. I also put a link back here. I don't have many readers yet, but I wanted to at least say something about this.

    We know some Christians who would never, ever behave that way. They would find it shameful and hateful and cruel. I'm happy the Christian blogger posted a comment here to talk about her love of Christ and love of neighbors. I'm sorry to hear she has gotten threats as well.

    Bright blessings to you, Kallan,
    and thank you,
    Bird @takeleftatthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pagans make the best friends... we worship the ground you walk upon! Please share your feedback here!